Monday 11 October 2010

A reflection on the combination of the topics flexibility, pedagogical approaches and the use of technology

From the lecture “pedagogy for flexible learning supported by technology” I got much insight. Let me start with flexibility.  The flexibility on education opens my understanding that actually teaching and learning process does not merely happen in the  same class room.  When we were discussing about flexibility of learning, what first time crossed in my mind was distance learning. This was true as this is one of the aspects of flexible learning. Now I know that actually there are more aspects regarding flexible learning. Let me give me the examples the flexibility of time, content, entry requirement, instructional approach and resources. Each of them has its advantages and disadvantages. These knowledge will give me insight what should I take into my consideration if I deal with those flexibility.
Secondly, it is about pedagogical approach. Learning about different kind of pedagogical approaches also enlightens my perspective about the differences between the pedagogical approach and the method of delivery. Now I understand in the method of delivery, a teacher can use the pedagogical approach. Moreover, i found that several approaches have the same characteristics, for instance between collaborative and problem based learning. What these two approaches have in common is that the student should work in a group to solve the problem. Another similarity is the role of the teacher. They are acting more as a tutor than a teacher for instance, in  the collaborative learning, inquiry learning and problem based learning. I also found out that actually a teacher can combine all the approaches when teaching. This may depend on the nature of the student, the nature of the topic and the context and require creativity of the teacher.  Again, this is about the flexibility.
 From the one of my friend’ blog she wrote that in the problem based learning, the students can choose the topic they would like to discuss.  I just wonder how the teachers who are bounded with the determined topics can accomplish their lesson plans, if the students can choose their own topic.
Another aspect I learnt from this course is about the use of technology in teaching and learning process. I just realize that technology here is not only limited to the latest technology or information but also to the earlier technology like camera. In my opinion, the use technology is only to facilitate the learning process, and make it more varied. I am personally concerned if the use of technology will hinder the teaching process itself. Teachers who are not familiar with the technology can be less confident if they have to use technology in their teaching process and this is a problem.  Therefore, applying technology in teaching, the teachers at least should have skills and knowledge about pedagogy and technology. 

No comments:

Post a Comment